- Apply to Co-op!
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Parent FAQ
- Department Directory
- Student Career Services
Co-operative Education is the best and most recognized way for you to graduate with relevant work experience and avoid the no-job-no-experience cycle. With a co-op education, you have the opportunity to build learning partnerships with industry and obtain 12-16 months of paid, professional work experience to use as 3 credits toward your degree.
By joining our program, you are investing in yourself and your future. By the time you are ready to enter the workforce, you are more experienced, more prepared, and more confident.
Co-operative Education is an educational model rather than a job placement strategy. Co-op Education promotes continuous learning through the integration of classroom and applied work-based learning.
Co-operative Education is a learning partnership between you, the university and the employer. You can alternate periods of experience in appropriate fields of business, industry, government, social services and the professions and academic studies.
Benefits of Co-operative Education
- Access personalized career coaching and advising.
- Choose from a variety of work term options that integrate into your degree.
- Work, live, and travel across Canada, the US or abroad.
- Earn $15-25 per hour, minimum 35 hrs/wk for a total of 12 to 16 months
- Obtain a real perspective of career options.
- Have a higher success of obtaining employment before graduation.
Who Can Apply?
Second or third year students in BIOL, BBA, BIS, HNU, CSCI and Math can apply (please see 9.13 academic calendar for our academic requirements).
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 (fall intake) | Wednesday, January 11, 2017 (winter intake)
Professional Development Seminar Schedule 2016-2017
|Fall Semester||Winter Semester|
|COOP 110||September 17, 2016||January 14, 2017|
|COOP 120||September 24, 2016
||January 21, 2017|
|COOP 130||October 15, 2016||February 4, 2017|
Please note: Students must complete COOP 110 in the semester they were accepted into the Co-op program. Prior to applying to the program, please look at the seminar schedule in the above table and adjust your schedule so that you can complete the seminars when offered.
Interested in Learning More about the Program?
If you have additional questions and want to talk with a current co-op student, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org . The Co-op Coordinator will be able to help prospective students connect with current co-op students.
Challenging a Prior Work Experience as a Co-op Work Term
The StFX Co-operative education program provides students the opportunity to challenge prior work experience as part of their Co-operative education experience. The following information is intended to explain how to receive credit for work experience completed prior to entering your StFX Co-op program.
Work Experience Requirements
When considering whether or not to challenge prior work experience as a co-op work term, consider if your prior work experience meets the following requirements.
- The work paid a minimum $12.00/hr
- The work was supervised
- The work helped you establish and achieve your career goals
- The work lasted for a minimum of 13 consecutive weeks (full time employment, minimum 35 hrs/wk)
- The work was relevant to your academic program
- The work experience must have occurred within the last two years and before the date the student was accepted into the Co-op Program.
Students beginning the StFX Co-op program in September must submit the following documents by the last Friday in September. Student beginning the StFX Co-op program in January must submit the following documents by the last Friday in January.
- Evidence of the terms of employment that may include a letter from the employer indicating start/end date, hours per week, salary, and job title. Record of employment may also be considered.
- A detailed job description.
- Supervisor contact information. A co-op staff member will contact your supervisor to solicit feedback on your performance during your work period of employment.
|Videos and Presentations|
|Discover the Difference Video|
|Co-op for Biology Students|
|Co-op for Human Nutrition Students|